Monday, June 8, 2015

A Belizean Summer||2.1||Training and New Adventures

On Monday we had training all day. I'll admit it got a little long sometimes but it was all so interesting and obviously things we need to know to be the best we can be this summer as interns. In the afternoon we had a nice long break, during which Erin, Liz, and I decided to go find some ice cream! Erin was here last year as an intern so she took us to Western Dairies, a Mennonite-made homemade ice cream shop. It was yummy!

Liz, Me, Erin

Blueberry(NOT Cotton Candy!!) ice cream from WD

Ice cream breaks are the best breaks!!




















After the ice cream we headed back to our hotel room to relax for a while before going back to the church for the rest of our meetings. After a super delicious supper of Belizean BBQ chicken(debatably better than Pennsylvania Dutch BBQ), we played an intense game of Belize trivia. So much fun + we learned more about the country!!

Tuesday morning we ate breakfast with all the rest of the staff and then Connor, Channing, Jacob, Liz(all interns), Adam(new Thirst office staff member), Jason, and Perla and Luda(trip leaders in charge of us interns for the summer), and I headed out to Caye Caulker for a couple days! We arrived on the island Tuesday afternoon around 2:30 and set about exploring the island right away. And of course we enjoyed a super delicious supper, followed by ice cream! :)

Wednesday we went snorkeling! Well... the other interns did anyhow. I decided to just go in the boat because when my youth group was down a couple years ago I had tried and didn't really enjoy it since I couldn't see anything without my glasses on. But! I have now learned that the owner of the snorkel shop has masks that fit over glasses so I'll definitely have to try again sometime this summer. The rest of the afternoon and evening was just spent relaxing and enjoying each other's company, as well as some more DELICIOUS food!
The interns + ICE CREAM!!
Wednesday morning's sunrise
More Sunrise
The whole group

The water is so beautiful + the sky was GORGEOUS!

Thursday morning we headed back to Belize City bright and early so Adam and Jason could catch their flight home. From there we traveled back to Orange Walk where the interns and Perla and Luda all enjoyed one last meal all together before Connor and I went with Amir to his house and the others stayed in Orange Walk.

Amir and his wife Jessica, along with their 4-year old, Jemma live in Yo Creek, which is about 10-15 minutes from Orange Walk Town. Connor and I stayed with them in their home Thursday night and Friday night. I thoroughly enjoyed it; Jessica's parents live right next door and they grow a lot of their own fruit so Thursday afternoon after my laundry was finished, Jessica's mom took me to the back yard and told me about all the different trees. It was so fascinating!!! Did you know there are multiple kinds of mango trees? I didn't!! I just loved talking with her. She reminded me so much of my grandma. And after a while Amir and Connor and the rest of the family came out back looking for us. And Amir and Jessica's dad chopped some coconuts down for us so we could taste coconut water and coconut straight from the tree; I've never had real coconut before-just the flaky white stuff you can buy in the States. It was such a cool experience!

Friday then we (Amir, Connor, and I) traveled all day. We needed to do trip setup and our trip is in Belmopan City, which is about two hours I think from Yo Creek. So we drove down and then around Belmopan, getting everything ready for our group to arrive Saturday! It was a loooong day. Driving down here wears you out more than in the States, I'd say. Belizeans are kinda crazy when it comes to driving!! (Amir's a great driver though-I promise! ;)) Plus there are a bunch of potholes and speed bumps so you're constantly speeding up and slowing down. We slept good Friday night though!!

And then the adventure really began!! Saturday afternoon our group arrived! They are from Kentucky and are staying in Belmopan City, which is the capital of Belize. They are serving at The King's Children Home and so far are having a great time!
My first group- Broadway UMC

So I'll post more on our trip later... Wanted to update everyone on the past week!!

Please continue to pray... They're so much appreciated! Thanks!





No comments:

Post a Comment